Sunday, August 2, 2009

Off my Ass

No, not referring to my condition after some 22oz curls. Instead, I finally did a little footwork today, meaning I ran -- really "soft" -- on a little incline, walked occasionally, did my little core routine afterwards. No pain. The icing and rest have been key (and thanks for the feedback I got re: my leg).

I hope I can make the starting line on 8/22. But I have to be healthy. And I will be because I'm getting smarter. I took about 4 days OFF. Nada. But I had put in some big weeks (for me) leading-up to this injury. The rest (days off) turns-out to be essential to absorb that work. I like Tim's analogy.

Do you ever feel like you're surrounded by the best and worst things in the world simultaneously? What in the world is one supposed to do then?

I have work to do!

5 comments:

  1. I love how it can begin again ... and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could lay in bed for 5 days and not lose a single percent of fitness. It just doesn't go away like that and if you've trained hard then even after 5 days you wouldn't be truly recovered. I love reading bodybuilding training and diet protocols, they are at the pinnacle when it comes to recovery. The top guys only lift big leg groups (IE: squats) 2 times per week! Anymore and they know that they might get diminishing returns. Of course this isn't 100% relevant to us, but you can see the idea that rest is critical. You're doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recovery element is a trip, especially with so much insecurity/over-achievement swirling around in the athlete-in-training's head. Absorb.

    You guys are teaching me a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all comes down to the brain. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. seems to throw so much "common sense" on its head. What's the correlation between racing and smiling? I'm sure it's huge.

    ReplyDelete