Saturday, January 10, 2009

Full Circle


Today we begin: the first day of the rest of my life. Me myself and I and the few personalities I've nurtured along the way are turning over the new leaf. 10 days into the year, this is day one. I took 10 additional days off. I'm ready to roll. Today I run/hike, tomorrow the same, and so forth and so on. And I'm very very excited. I liked the downtime, but now it's time to go "downtown," or take my enemies "down to china town!" (Whatever . . .morning blob with three shots of espresso and a little soy.)

When we were on Maui, I piled the family in our rentacar and drove to the top of Haleakala to watch the sunrise. To make a long story short, it was the first day of one of those "4 times a year storms," according to a local. Having said that, at the top of Haleakala (and btw, no weather report indicated such weather, i swear) we were in the eye of the storm, literally, in the middle of a storm cloud. Winds were about 50mph, swirling rain, pretty amazing. Here is a picture of me at the doorway to the visitor's center with evidence of some elevation and cold air. Pic at the top of this post is Hale at sunrise.



Okay, so this weekend last year was Boney Mt. 21k, my first trail race ever. I then drove up to Pismo Beach for a little weekend of central coast with my good friend from Oakland, CA. It was an epic weekend. Here's a picture of me on that weekend and a picture of me from Hawaii, last month: the beginning and end of the first season.




When my kid saw this pic of us in Maui, he said, "Dad, you look sick." Quite an interpretation. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment